Cue "Pomp and Circumstance"

Welcome back my couch potatoes. I stand before you, virtually in my cap and gown with my cords around my neck, looking like a rainbow. I'...

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Return of the Blog

Welcome back my couch padawans... yes you are no longer potatoes for this blog post. And my the force be with you hehe. Today (or at least when I started writing this) is May 4th (and also a B-day for school so that worked out) so I thought why not create a Star Wars post? Plus, this quarantine got me watching 3 Star Wars movies a night. Yeah, I messed up my sleeping schedule real bad but it's okay I've been staying on top of my work.
Attack Of The Clones Jedi GIF by Star Wars - Find & Share on GIPHY
Before we jump into things there are a few things I would like to say. As you all know, as of May 4th, Gov. Murphy has announced that school will remain closed for the rest of this academic school year. That really hit me. I was really looking forward to these last two months of school ever since I was a freshman. And in the beginning of this school year I have continue to work hard and have been telling myself "keep pushing until the musical is over and you get to have the Senior experience you've always wanted". I remember my brother going to Applebee's every Friday with his friends his Senior year, and I was really hoping to do something similar. I never got to have my closing night, I never got to give some words of wisdom to my cast mates. I never got to hang out with that friend that I said, "we can hang out when the musical is over". And to all of my other Seniors, especially those in clubs and organizations such as ICC, Erase, world language Honor Society, or NHS, I am so sorry that you don't get to put on your last show, or be recognized for your achievements in a ceremony.

But most of all, I sympathize most of all to the Seniors participating in spring sports. You never got to see what this season could have brought you. You lose your Senior night, a night to celebrate you. And you lose a chance to prove yourself and your team to the world. But most of all, you lose the your last experience with your team/family. Although I did not play much during the season in the fall, I have never felt more close, loved, and supported by a group of girls. We even got to show the world what we were made of by winning the state championship. For me, it meant so much because that was the last time I will be playing on a soccer team, and I can imagine, it is the same for many other Seniors for their spring season. I deeply sorry.

This time has really inspired me to write more music. I started a viola piece, which I started before I heard the news today, to reflect how my coronacation has been going and hopefully others as well. I have also started an a capella arrangement of "The Man Who Can't be Moved" by The Script. But besides that, all I have really done is watch a lot of TV. Mostly Star Wars... so let's jump right in shall we?

First I would like to say, I have never seen (or at least paid attention while watching) the first six movies of Star Wars. I've definitely watch Episodes V and Episode II when I was like 3 years old because those are the only DVD's I had. Then with my family I watch Episodes I, II, III and part of IV (yes we watched it in that order but it wasn't my fault; my dad wanted to watch it like that) when I was in like 8th grade, but I wasn't really paying attention because I was always on my phone. I mean, I do hae some background because I was obsessed with the Lego Star Wars DS game but like, that was 1st grade. I wasn't paying attention to the story. I just wanted to destroy Lego Storm Troopers and battle droids with a light saber.
Best Lego Star Wars Gameplay GIFs | Gfycat
But this time, I actually watched all 6 in the correct order in one weekend. I do recommend watching the movies in the order of the release date because they were created and released in that order for a reason, but also the effects of the three sets of movie has such a drastic change that it hurt my head from watching the first three episodes, (released in the late 90's early 00's) to episodes IV-VI (released in late 70's early 80's).

So you're probably thinking, Meg, what is this post actually about. To be honest, I don't really know, I just kept typing. But since this was my first time watching Star Wars and actually try to process what's going on, here are a few thought that I had when I was watching the movie. These are the thoughts the kind of thoughts I normally have when I watch a movie or TV show. I usually say them out loud depending who I am watching with or if I am alone, but this was late at night when I was alone in the living room so I was snapping one of my Star Wars nerd friend my commentary. He thought it was amusing so I hope you do too.

However, I realized that this blog would probably be WAY too long if I just did that and probably would make no sense. I lowkey wish that I could just rewrite everything I thought of when I watch them but that's illogical. Therefore, I'm going to give a summary of my thoughts of episodes IV-VI. If you would like me to do another blog like this in the future let me know in the comments :)

Let's get STARTED!!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!

General things about the movies.

I'm not going to lie, I know those things move slow but I feel like that I don't have enough time to process what I am reading, so I go back to read it but then the words start to get smaller and smaller so I just don't really understand what is going on. lol Also, not gonna lie, some of these ships look better in lego form.
Star Wars Ships GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Episode IV: A New Hope

I have to start off with the droids.  CP30 is like a "mom" of a friend group. Nags too much, doesn't want to take risks, and does what they are told. But he's also a push over because he basically follows R2 everywhere. I was instantly attached to the two and they have great chemistry. But when Uncle Owen chooses the red R2 instead of the actual R2 and CP30. You can't break the bromance :( but then when the red one blows up I feel like R2 definitely had something to do with it.
Excerpt: STAR WARS PSYCHOLOGY (Sterling) | Civilian Reader
There is also a lot of great science stuff that isn't just aliens and droids in this movie. Like the advancement in the technology. I def thought "Okay, Luke, what ever your flying it definitely has something to do with magnetism or Coulomb's law by the way it hovers over the ground. (Meghan, this is a fiction movie) still."

Now Ben Kenobi. Obi-Wan Kenobi. Kenobi is not a common name. I'm pretty sure they are related, Luke. But anyway, I didn't feel super attached to him. However, in this movie Obi explains the force so well. Like I feel like if you watch episodes I-III first it would be harder to grasp the concept of the force. Also a direct thought I had when Obi died:

"NO!!!! Wait he just disappears. So did he die? Like maybe he just transported somewhere. Can you do that with the force? And Luke. You dumdum. Just get on the ship. The troopers weren't even looking at you until you yelled. Also, it kinda seems like Obi also gave up though. So like it def seems like he could've just transported."

Last thing I want to say is... Jabba isn't a human being... I'm confuzzled as to why you say he's a human, Han Solo?
Episode 4 Look Jabba Even I Get Boarded Sometimes GIF by Star Wars ...

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 

I don't remember what planet they're on but the opening scene, I didn't get that I was Luke lol. I also feel like that it was a random planet but not random at the same time. And the when the yeti came, idk felt too fantastical to me. I think they should've found another reason that he stayed in the cold to hallucinate like he actually went to check the "meter"

Let's move on from that. Han and Leia. Girl, denying your feelings only for them to get stronger. We all know they're going to end up together one way or another. And can I just say... I have a little bit of background on this franchise as I said before and Leia kissing Luke to make Han jealous is disturbing. asjdfsadkjfewi
yoda gifs Page 4 | WiffleGif
When Luke goes to train to be a Jedi with Yoda I was very happy. He definitely needs it because he's very immature... in general lol. But watching Luke train was so frustrating. Like Luke, be patient MY GOODNESS. There were moments when I was like "Yeah, Yoda, just stop training him. He's too old."And he proved my point with the cave and going to help his friends. Like if he just listened to Yoda, his friends would be fine and he would complete his training. Ugh. Like bro, they got Chewy, they can fend for themselves.

On Cloud City, I think that writers did a good job with Lando's character. It was difficult to tell if we could trust him or not. So I hated him at first then I liked him. That's hard to pull off. And poor Han being carbonated or whatever it's called. But dude, a girl tells you she loves you, don't let your possible last words be "I know". Jerk.

And of course! Luke goes to Cloud City and who does he encounter??? Darth Vader. And is he ready??? Of course not you impatient child! I wasn't shocked about the result of their battle because that is the one thing I remember very vividly in the Lego game lol. But the thing with Luke going into Leia's head with the force. That was cool. Can he do that with anyone or only Leia though?????
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Or Die Hard Being The Best ...

Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi

The first part of this movie made me really uncomfortable not gonna lie. Like Jabba the Hutt is EXTREMELY creepy and like the place he runs... my goodness. In my opinion, not really kid friendly. In my opinion, I feel like that the saving of Han was drawn out way to much but I do have to say that the fighting scene at the end was entertaining to watch.

Luke going back to Yoda to complete his training made me happy. He kept his promise from the last movie, plus, I love Yoda. I mean... who doesn't? So I definitely cried when Yoda dies. This is when I realized that Obi disappearing was him actually dying. I had no idea. I asked my friend why their body vanishes when they die and he said it's because they become one with the force... or at least that's what I think he said. At this point, I am also mad at Luke for not staying to spend more time with Yoda. If he completed his training with Yoda, then Yoda would've had more screen time.
A Role Reversal - Autism West
Luke returns to the rendezvous and the Rebels are planning attack. Honestly, why do people like Luke, in my opinion, he is dumb and immature. Luke says he's going to go with Han and Leia to take down the shield, which is near the Death Star and where the Sith Lord and Darth Vader is. LUKE ARE YOU DUMB???? DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THE FORCE??? I haven't really understood much with these movies, but I do understand that Darth Vader can sense you when you are nearby. YOU ARE JUST GOING TO PUT EVERYONE IN DANGER! HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED YOUR LESSON????

But still he goes. So I watched all of the movies with close captions and Idk if they are actually Wookies but those little things are so cute. Like they're feisty, little, and cute... like me... sometimes. And the fact that they helped the Rebels to attack the storm troopers during the battle with their non-advanced weapons makes them even cuter to me. They're like teddy bears.
Geekus nerdipithicus」おしゃれまとめの人気アイデア|Pinterest ...
Okay, I'm gonna kinda skip ahead to when Luke faces the Sith Lord. Actually, it's more like Luke is vulnerable to the Sith Lord because yes Luke is not strong enough to face the Sith Lord, he's barely strong enough to face Darth Vader (or so I thought). Honestly, I rather have Luke die (which wouldn't make sense with the title but just let Meg be Meg) than have Darth Vader shove the Sith Lord off the balcony... down the hole... push him so he falls for a long time and eventually dies. I personally thought that was bad characterization to have Darth Vader do the right think (at least at this point in the franchise) because it seems like Darth Vader just cares about power and himself. Sure, he wants to be with Luke, but I feel like it was for selfish reasons and not for the sake of Luke. Idk, that's my opinion at that point.
Star Wars Episode 6 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
And there you have it, my thoughts in a more formal setting I would say. Of course these are just opinions so let me know what you think in the comments and also tell me if you would like me to do another post like this.

Stay safe everyone! May the Force be with you. Until next time, look, listen, and lay low.

Images:
Padawans training
lego droids
lego ship
droid bromance
Jabba the "human"
mine yoda
father v son
dying yoda :(
ewoks
force ghosts

2 comments:

  1. I loved the opening of this blog and how you connected it to your blog topic! I've never been a huge fan of Star Wars myself, but my brother has been watching them, and this blog makes me want to give watching them a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm probably at this point a Star Wars fan, though I don't consider myself one (I've only seen all the movies and watched/read a few parodies, I haven't read any of the books or anything). I thought your comments were really funny, and I wanted to respond to them the whole time. You should totally do a second post on this! Also, I loved your intro. Part of me understands like, this thing was impossible to plan, the school board didn't have a choice, etc. Part of me wishes so much though that we'd had any kind of warning, like even just knowing it would be our last week would have let teams and clubs say goodbye and maybe do last minute showcases or something. The school year just feels... incomplete now.

    ReplyDelete