Cue "Pomp and Circumstance"

Welcome back my couch potatoes. I stand before you, virtually in my cap and gown with my cords around my neck, looking like a rainbow. I'...

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

TV Show Match Up

Welcome back my couch potatoes! I hope your quarantine is getting better since it's getting warmer and school is coming to a close. I hope that for most and if not all of you that your workload is starting to lift. For me, not so much. I have 10+ assignments due through the next two weeks, half of them being due this Friday, but I'm given a lot of time so I'm trying to shoot it all out park. However, I am failing miserably. Doing work 24/7 but nothing is done. Plus, I have to do a bunch of college stuff for next year. UUUGGHHHHHHHH
Frozen Olaf GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Also, Governor Murphy has also allowed gatherings up to 25 people with wearing a mask and practicing social distancing of course. Although he is permitting this, I think that it is important to note that you shouldn't be doing this everyday because the bell curve can shoot right back up. I'm sure all of you want to have an amazing summer with friends, and believe me I do too. However, I much rather want to go to school and learn in person from my teachers in the fall.

I'm sure that most of you have things you want to do, which I have mentioned in previous blogs since quarantine has started. My little sister has been making friendship bracelets and other arty things and my older sister has been working our more. As for me, I've been sleeping, working out, composing ("New, Some Type of Way") and of course: watching TV. In fact, everyone in my family have catching up on their shows or starting new ones. It's funny because we don't watch them together as a family. It's more like someone's watching their show and the rest of the fam just happens to be there. I don't know how there's enough time for each of us to watch on that much TV lol.
Best Watching Tv GIFs | Gfycat
If you guys know my siblings and I, you know that we are different for the most part with a few overlapping traits. (If you want to see which sibling you are, take the Buzzfeed quiz that we made lol.) It's the same with TV shows. Our tastes are different with a few over lapping shows. We usually watch the same show when one of us is watching it in the living room and the others become invested that they watch it from the beginning themselves. That's how I started watching Gilmore Girls and Hollywood. Or if it's really popular then we'll all watch it eventually.

But I wanted to make this post about our different tastes and get some insight of why they like it. First I'm going to say what their type of TV shows are based on what they watch. Then, interview them. Ask them what makes the perfect TV show; which one is their favorite of all time; what they are currently watching, etc, etc.
Think Winnie The Pooh GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Big Bro (Mark):

I really can't pinpoint him but it kind of seems like he likes shows of comedy, nonsense, and just straight up weird/absurd/disturbing/awkward. They give me like MAD from Cartoon Network vibes. I don't really know how to describe it. I also know he likes more mature shows, so if you think about watching any of these, know that they are most likely for mature audiences. From his list he enjoys classic comedies like The Office and then there are others like Big Mouth, BoJack Horseman, Disenchantment which give me the Cartoon Network vibes. But he also enjoys TV shows where they episodes are not really connected and each episode is a short story like Love Death and Robots and Midnight Gospel. He also enjoys Anime, which I'm not really a fan of unless it's Avatar: The Last Airbender or Pokemon, but this is about Mark. 
Sad Bojack Horseman GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Lastly, I want to add in that along with these kinds of shows, he enjoys stand up comedians so all around, he just wants a good laugh.

His favorite TV show is Rick and Morty because of the humor in the show and currently not watching anything at the moment. (He just finished Avatar.)

Big Sis (Maggie):

Honestly, she is why I am writing this post. She just recently started watching Criminal Minds and I told her "Wow, you really have a type when it comes to TV shows." She got confused, but I'm going to explain it here. Maggie likes either crime shows or mystery with action and/or drama shows. Definitely something that keeps her thinking, guessing, and requires her to be observant... or to guess randomly and hope she is right. She likes to be invested, but not emotionally, and keeps her engage to keep watching. I know that the show would be even better with there was a bigger mystery or case that goes on for the whole season, keeping the episodes connected. These shows include Sherlock Holmes, Dexter, and Pretty Little Liars. But still, she will enjoy a show that are more heartfelt like Gilmore Girls or something with more drama like Gossip Girl. But I definitely think she likes the criminal stuff lol.
dexter morgan | Tumblr
Also, Maggie prefers to watch Movies when she has to get work done because she can just watch it and not be tempted to watch another episode. Well that's what she gets for watching shows like PLL.

Her favorite TV show is The Good Place (that's really surprising to me) because the show is more philosophical based and has different perspectives on death that's non religious. She is currently watching Criminal Minds and The Flash (catching up on season 6 lol).

Lil' Sis (Missy):

This is tough because I never really see her watching TV. She's usually doing school work, reading, or something that sounds productive because it doesn't involve sitting on your butt and watching TV. Or she's watching it in our room which she's always in, which is the reason I'm never in it. In other words, I don't really know what she does when I'm not with her. Yeah, since she's the youngest, she's the last person the remote goes to. I find it weird when she is watching something by herself on the TV in our living room. But when she does get it, she would binge watch it. Like she'd finish a season with a show that has hour long episodes in one day. Idk man.

But anyway, Lil' Sis enjoys the teenage drama. Or really any drama in general. And it would make it better if the show has VERY attractive people. Like Timothee Chalamet attractive. Therefore, she would probably like any show from CW that isn't connecting with the Arrowverse.
Timothee GIFs | Tenor
I'm sorry but I had to include this

I mean, it makes sense why she binge watches shows like, Outer Banks and Dynasty: the drama keeps her hooked and wanting more. She also probably watches these shows because it's very popular with our peers right now. I know that I'm not really sure what other shows she has watched because I never see her watching anything, but I think she definitely, if she hasn't already, enjoy, or at least watch All-American. I do know, however, that Lil' Sis enjoys watching a lot of teenage romance movies like Spectacular Now and To All the Boys I Loved Before. Or any movie that was a book before which are usually teen ficition, aka a book with a teenage romance.

Her favorite show is Outer Banks (which I suspected) because it's suspenseful, dramatic, and the teens are living an adventurous life, unlike us today, constantly on our phones. She is currently watching How I Met Your Mother and Hollywood.


outerbanksedit | Tumblr

Parents:

Filipino shows. That's it, that's all they watch. Filipino TV shows, telanovellas, movies, and when I was younger, game shows. Sometimes if they find a drama filled show that us hip kids like, they would watch it, but almost every night, my parents watch a filipino film on their list. When they saw Crazy Rich Asians my parents were like, "okay, everybody is watching this." It's funny because my parents always fall asleep watching it. To add, my dad likes to watch the The Price is Right at exactly 11 am everyday just to be interrupted by the news. My mom doesn't watch TV so much since she has a lot to do and usually uses her free time to nap but she really enjoys anything. The best thing is, whether my mom enjoys a show or not, watching her reactions are as good as watching what's on the screen. It can get annoying at times but still hilarious. Most of the time, when "we" are watching Big Sis's crime shows, my mom screamed so loud that we'll get scared from her scream because it's so loud and not from the actual show.
Ken Jeong Yes GIF by Crazy Rich Asians - Find & Share on GIPHY

Me:

I don't really know how to pinpoint my type. I feel that I especially enjoy comedies with some drama. I enjoy the classics like Friends, That's 70's Show, and The Office, but I also enjoy something like Glee. I definitely find myself watching comedies more because the episodes are shorter so I could use them as my break from school work. But I do enjoy drama, action and anything that's really heartfelt, like something that I can really connect to. So basically a mix. Shows like How I Met Your Mother, The Flash, Young and Hungry and Insatiable (kind of questionable but I still would watch it if another season came out lol). When I was younger, I was obsessed with Ned's Declassified: School Survival Guide. I still use some of his tips like have the closest seat to the door (think about where I sit in Creative Writing... I love you guys but the next class is an AP class and if there's a test, you will see me skrrting the halls).
Best Neds Declassified School Survival Guide GIFs | Gfycat
My stressometer currently
The episodes definitely have to be connected with an over arching plot over the entire season otherwise it would be hard to get through. When school is over, you know I will be hogging the TV watching more drama shows since I will have more time and won't feel like I have to do work. Let me know in the comments what shows you think I should watch!

For me, my all time favorite show is Boy Meets World. It's funny and something I connect with. From the comedic relationship between Eric and Mr. Feeny; to the friendship of Shawn and Cory; to the romantic journey of Cory and Topanga, the show has everything but the cool action stuff that The Flash provides for me lol. I currently finished watching Parks and Recreation and started Never Have I Ever
Feeny GIFs | Tenor
For me, I def prefer TV shows over movies because if I were to watch a movie, I would have to watch it in one sitting or I won't ever be able to push myself to go back and finish it.

There you have it! If you find yourself like one of my siblings or me, check out the other shows I haven't mentioned that we've watched on Netflix and add them to your list:

Big Bro (Mark):

  • Paradise PD
  • Death Note
  • Hollywood
  • The Umbrella Academy
  • Day Break

Big Sis (Maggie):

  • The Fosters
  • DC's Legends of Tomorrow
  • Person of Interest
  • The Tomorrow People
  • Stitchers
  • Once Upon a Time
  • Arrow
  • Teen Wolf
  • Stranger Things
  • The End of the F*****g World
  • The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
  • Riverdale

Lil' Sis (Missy):

  • On my Block
  • Young and Hungry
  • 13 Reasons Why
  • Downton Abbey

Parents (movies):

  • Romeo Must Die
  • It Takes a Man and a Woman
  • Starting Over Again
  • Barcelona a Love Untold
  • Sisterakas
  • Jokoy (he's a stand up comedian but I recommend anyone to watch him; just look him up in the search on Netflix)

Meghan:

  • Total Drama
  • Gilmore Girls
  • Gotham
  • Supergirl
  • The Good Place
  • Jane the Virgin
  • Shameless
  • Sex Education

That's all for today! I hope everyone stays safe. Until next time, look, listen and lay low.

Images:
olaf
the simpsons
pooh
horseman
dexter
chalamet
outer banks
crazy rich asians
Ned
feen eh

5 comments:

  1. I feel so culturally uninformed. The only shows I know that you mentioned are Avatar and The Flash, but hey, it's not completely my fault. I was so shocked when you said your youngest gets the remote last, because in my house it's the complete opposite. My youngest sister yells the loudest (and she can't watch more mature shows so we can't turn them on with her around) so she controls the TV. She's getting older, so I'm catching up on some late childhood TV shows, but most of the past few years I've been watching like Phineas and Ferb or My Little Pony. I really loved this post though, your analysis of your siblings was really amusing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, but this post is so cute! I don't know why but I loved reading all your family likes on TV. It made me think about how my family is also very different when it comes to TV. And I got an intrest in a lot more shows, and I need to go back to tv now. Really great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea for your post! I think I'm most similar to Missy because no one ever sees me watching tv shows since I'm usually doing something else or watching alone in my room. Overall, it was super cute to see what your family is watching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! You gave so many options for new shows to watch and I love how you made this really personal to your family. I actually took the Buzzfeed quiz and got you! Which wasn't surprising because of all the musical theater options lol. I'll be sure to check out these shows!! Great post !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really interesting topic! It gives us a really cool idea of you and your family as people, even if it's only through what shows they watch. It also makes a great TV recommendation list ;)

    ReplyDelete