Cue "Pomp and Circumstance"

Welcome back my couch potatoes. I stand before you, virtually in my cap and gown with my cords around my neck, looking like a rainbow. I'...

Sunday, October 6, 2019

It's A-LIVE... (action movie)

Hi! It's me again. (I don't really know how to open a new post without sounding like a YouTuber, but bear with me). I feel like I have been super busy with everything that I haven't had much time to watch TV or movies. And the music I listen to recently has only been Newsies because that is what our Spring Musical at school is going to be (you should definitely come out and see it in March). But I'm sure that most of you probably don't want to hear me talk about what I think about Newsies and how the music is just AMAZING (or do you?).

Enough about my problems with not enough time for homework, rehearsal, college apps, and soccer. Let's talk about something else... I don't know. Maybe how Disney is making many of it's classic movies into live action.
Image result for write what you know newsies gif

I feel there are mixed emotions about this throughout the... (I don't know what the correct word to use here is... audience? nation? poll?... I guess just fill in the blank). I have my opinions about them to. I love Disney, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I feel like they are running out of ideas so they're like "Hey? Why don't just make (blank) into live action?" Wow! Super creative... But I guess it's okay because there are people who are deeply in love with the classics and are always saying "Ughh... I wish they could make a remake or continuation with..." blah blah blah. I'm not going to lie, I was definitely someone who freaked out about Girl Meets World the recreation of Boy Meets World. 
Image result for boy meets world gif
And it just makes sense. Everyone gets what they want. The remakes of the popular shows should bring a lot of money in for the company, and the people get a remake that they have been dying to see. But I feel like that you have to make the remake better or at least keep the great things about the original in the remake. Let's look at some of the Disney live action remakes and if the remake was worth it or not. (In no particular order except what came to my head and the ones I have seen).
Image result for beauty and the beast

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

This is my absolute favorite remake live-action movie. Besides that fact the Emma Watson portrayed Belle (yes, I am a Potter fan... Ravenclaw all the way), they kept the musical theatre element. I feel that the singing and dancing (especially the singing) is a huge part of the Disney Princess world. They even added a couple of short songs which I thought made Beauty and the Beast more musical. Personally I thought the live action is much better than the original because I always fell asleep when I watch the original. And Josh Gad as LeFou... I can't. Too good.
Image result for cinderella live action

Cinderella (2015)

Cinderella was my favorite Disney princess growing up. I remember that I would be her every Halloween or whenever I played with my sisters. And I would watch the original Cinderella movie about twice a day. I could not get enough of her. When I finally watched the live action, I was a little disappointed. The actors, costumes (especially Cinderella's dress, my god. So beautiful), sets, and affects I thought were all incredible, however I wasn't thrilled that Cinderella didn't sing herself. In fact, if I remember correctly, there was no singing at all. (Remember I pretty much said singing is a big thing for a Disney princess). I also did not enjoy some of the little changes they made. I do not remember them all (because I watched the live action only once a long time ago) but I do remember the scene where Prince Charming brings Cinderella to some sort of secret garden. This sticks out in my head the most because I thought Cinderella spent too much time on that swing.
Image result for lion king gif

The Lion King (2019)

I have never been the biggest fan of the Lion King growing up. I always thought it was too sad and lowkey scary when I was a child. However, the music of the original is great (as usual). I was not a huge fan of the live action remake. I did think it was boring, however there is only so much SFX can do to make the animals interesting but still realistic. Still, I thought it would be cool to see SFX Simba and Nala climb giraffes. I did enjoy the music and vocals. I thought every voice was phenomenal, but personally, I did not enjoy Beyonce as Nala (but don't get me wrong I love Beyonce). I felt that everyone else who was doing a voice over had a more brassy and musical theater singing technique and that she stuck out because she has a more poppy kind of sound (and I don't blame her). I thought that everything else was great and the fact that they did not add or change much in the plot line made it better.
Image result for aladdin

Aladdin (2019)

Aladdin was one of the movies I did not see until I was a little older. I think the first time I watched the entirety of it was after Robin Williams's death, and Disney Channel played it in honor of him (yes, I do have that good of a memory). I thought it was brilliant. Then, after seeing it this summer with my family, I loved it even more. The music and vocals were fantastic. I didn't mind that they added a few songs like Beauty and the Beast. They also added a few little things to the plot liking showing us where Aladdin lived and giving Princess Jasmine a maid that was like her side kick. I also liked how they made a lot of references to today's pop culture (I can't remember any specifics) and I thought it made it more funny. Lastly, I thought Will Smith did a good job filling in Robin Williams's shoes as genie.

I have never seen the Jungle Book (the original or live action) so I cannot give any feedback on that. I do have mixed feeling on some of the remakes, but you will still find me at the movie theater to see Mulan. Keep an eye out for Lady and the Tramp and Dumbo as well.

Until next time, keeping laying low :) 

Links to images:

5 comments:

  1. as someone who loves Disney, as well, I really loved this blog and how knowledgeable you are about the different movies

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh I'm sooo excited for the live action Mulan please do a review when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Disney movies but I've definitely had a few opinions about their whole live-action remakes, so I really enjoyed reading your take on these movies! Of course I'll be seeing Newsies (wink wonk) and I'll also be looking forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved aladdin and i feel like your opinion about it is very accurate for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the opinions on the blog are very relatable. not going to lie, I am a fan of the live action movies because it's kinda different. I really don't know Loved the blog and the idea, for sure am coming back to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete