Cue "Pomp and Circumstance"

Welcome back my couch potatoes. I stand before you, virtually in my cap and gown with my cords around my neck, looking like a rainbow. I'...

Sunday, January 5, 2020

It's the Start of Something New...

Welcome back my couch potatoes! And Happy New Year! Not really for me because almost every single second I have to myself is dedicated to practicing college auditions, which for start this Saturday (AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!) I'm so nervous! But my voice teacher said I have been doing very well and she can tell I've been practicing so that's good, right? Since I've been practicing so much I don't really have any new material to share with you guys :( Sad, I know. But here is one of my favorite songs that I've been working on for my college audition. It's an Italian ariette "Star Vicino" by Salvatore Rosa (1615-1673). The singer in the video is singing a slightly different arrangement and a different key that I sing. But it's still one of the most fun songs to sing.
Image result for hsm gabriella gifs
The past week, when I would take break from college auditions or spending time with my family, I would go onto Disney Plus (which my mom bought recently thank God!) and watch High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. When I first saw the ad for it I was lowkey interested but was like "eh it's probably not going to be good". Well, I got to say, I really enjoy watching it. I'm not a huge fan of the Disney shows today, but this one's worth the watch. (btw Disney plus has the old shows from our childhood so I would try to get it, I definitely think it's worth it)
Image result for hsmtmts all I want gifs
HSMTMTS I would say is a combination of The Office and Glee in the way that the show is formatted. This show has the characters talking to us at moments to let us know what they think, like The Office and singing to practice, perform, or just to express how they are feeling at the moment, just like they do in Glee.
Image result for hsmtmts gifs
I thought that the premise of the show was kinda cheesy but honestly the drama between the students and even the drama with the teacher Ms. Jenn is entertaining. What makes me very invested in the show is if I can relate to it, and for me, I can really relate to Nini, EJ, and Ricky. With HSM, I was hands down Gabriella with the stage fright, super smartness, having a big heart, and falling hard for a guy. And yes, I am basically a struggling actor trying make their big break in a high school musical production (haha see what I did there... okay...), but besides that, the drama that happens in that love triangle is something I can relate to A LOT. Like literally each of their problems with that girl or guy is something I struggle with to. And seeing them do things for that special someone are pretty crazy. I mean, I do some of those things so I must've look that stupid too. But hey, love makes us crazy.
Image result for hsmtmts gifs
The new music that has been written for this show is also very well done. I think that the songs reflect out time very well. For instance, the very well known "All I Want" (which is one of those songs on tiktok lol) is sung in the tone that everyone sings today but reminds me of other songs from the movies. This song in particular reminds me of the three songs Gabriella sings in each of the movies ("When There was Me and You"; "I Gotta Go my Own Way"; "Just Walk Away").

Image result for gotta go my own way gifs
Last thing that I like about this show, which is very minor is Joshua Bassett. That's it... just him.
Image result for joshua bassett
I hope you guys can find a chance to watch this show that also shows the lives of drama kids (which I think is very accurate to all the different scenarios).

Until next time my couch potatoes. Look, listen, and lay low.

Images:
Ma!
Nini
EJ
cologne
Gotta go my own way
Joshua Bassett

2 comments:

  1. I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO WATCH THIS SHOW FOR SO LONG BUT I DON'T HAVE DISNEY PLUS!!! What a sad time :( anyway, I really enjoyed this blog post! Break a leg at your college auditions, queen!! You're gonna nail it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched the show yet, but this blog definitely makes me want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete